Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Other V-Day

Whew! Now that the VDay that matters is done (for now), I can finally breathe and pay attention to my poor, neglected blog. So here's a little treat!

I like to keep my eye out for completely out-there, disgusting, and/or hilarious commercials, especially around holidays. This Valentine's Day (the lesser of the days that begin with V) was a field day. On the lower end of the spectrum was that Kay Jewelers commercial where the guy is agonizing over a handmade card, changes his mind, throws it over his shoulder, and picks up a Kay Jewelers box. Wow, Kay. Very smart work, there. Why spend five minutes on a card when you can drop five hundred (dollars) on the same uninspired heart pendant that they advertise every year? Does Kay really think that most of us will watch their commercial, finally see the light, and then buy their stuff?

Another one was a JC Penny commercial you can still see here. See, I could understand the Kay commercial. Some people like to buy things; some people like getting lavish presents. But really -- who likes to be hypnotized? I can imagine a woman going "Awwww..." at the man's frustration in the Kay commercial, but not this one. The creepy power/authority-to-the-point-of-hypnotism thing really got to me... it made me think about how less literal things do happen in controlling relationships.

Although, I must admit, as horribly wrong as the commercial was, I laughed out loud when I saw it. Sometimes, these things are so bad, that you just have to laugh.


So how do I feel about Valentine's Day? I suppose I don't have to worry about it, because the pressure isn't on me, is it? I pity the men who get pummeled with ads like these every year. Heh. Well, really, it's another one of those holidays I don't "do."

2 comments:

Hungry folk said...

That rose petal cottage song is so fantastically awful! I might need to make it my ringtone. I love that commercial when the guy gives the girl one of those ballerina jewelry boxes and she says that she knows just how the little ballerina feels. I'm sure this is supposed to mean she feels beautiful, but I just see it as, "You feel like a tiny woman stuck in the box with no hope for change?" awesome!

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

This post was awesome, Jen! And great response back Loretta. That Rose Petal Cottage song is sooooo disturbing! A room of her own??? Virginia Woolf is puking in her grave!

LB :)