Sunday, February 3, 2008

so it begins...

When I was 13, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would turn out the way I did (halfway-almost-sort of-kinda socially adept?). To be honest, it's hard for me to remember any specifics from back in the day. I know I was in the transition between middle school and high school. I know I had a couple good friends. I know I was in the "smart classes," band, and mock trial. Most of all, I know I was painfully uncool. When I say painfully, I mean painfully. I got picked on for all sorts of things -- being too smart, too friendly, too weird. Oh, and fat. I remember being picked last not only in gym, but for a spelling bee team, when I was probably one of the best spellers in the bunch. But I understand -- who would want the fat kid on their team?

As for my friends... we got along quite nicely. If I hadn't had such a great sense of humor, I probably wouldn't have been able to get by. After getting kicked out of my first group of friends for being a loser, I grew closer to the class nerd and the artsy one (who I bonded with through Pokemon cards) to complete the teenage trinity. I still have a mix CD one of them gave me a while ago -- the first track on it is the Barenaked Ladies song "Grade 9," the inspiration for my blog.

Ahhhh, the memories.

I've got a blue-and-red Adidas bag and a humongous binder
I'm trying my best not to look like a minor niner
I went out for the football team to prove that I'm a man
I guess I shouldn't tell them that I like Duran Duran

This is me in grade nine, baby.
This is me in grade nine.

2 comments:

Hungry folk said...

I love that song! I listened to a lot of BNL in middle school and high school.

Stephanie said...

BNL, great song!

If I had a million dollars....we wouldn't have to eat Kraft dinner, but we would eat Kraft dinner! :)

I can remember feeling similar in that middle/high school transition time. I was shy in the sense that I wouldn't initiate conversation, but once you got me going that was another story. Its a weird trying to find a place to fit time that everyone seems to struggle with in some way shape or form. Gym class I hear you, was definitely the worst!